Learning through play: Our vision for primary classrooms
Longworth Education is a small, passionate consultancy focused on supporting schools who want to implement learning through play into the primary education environment.
Learning through play is founded on sound research and the following principles:
- Learning through play is a developmental approach to a child’s learning
- Learning through play acknowledges that the child is in control of their own learning
- The teacher supports, scaffolds and gifts new knowledge using intentional teaching methods
- Learning occurs through a process of curiosity and inquiry, and as such cannot be segregated into isolated subject areas
We believe that learning unfolds naturally as children interact with the world around them.
- The learner needs every opportunity to experience the outside environment
- The learner should be given opportunities to develop an empathy, a sense of belonging and a connection with their outside environment
How we help schools to implement learning through play
Using a variety of methods including workshops, in-school support sessions and coaching, we help teachers at all levels to implement a learning through play approach in their school.
This is backed up with research and evidence to enable teachers to feel confident using a learning through play approach in education. We aim to inspire teachers to recognise that their learners can take control of their own learning and to have a new respect for the creative abilities of all children.
We encourage teachers to promote and advocate for developmentally appropriate teaching practices and learning opportunities for all children in their school environment. Finally, we support schools to implement learning through play in order to effectively meet New Zealand School Curriculum requirements.
Contact us for more information.
The best professional learning I've had in a long time packed into 6 hours!!!!
Thank you - this is the best, thought provoking professional development I've had in a long time
Thank you for an amazing day. It has been valuable and affirmed my practice as well as shown me where to go next
Thanks for Saturday, I loved it and my kids loved playing today and I loved seeing their imagination in action as well as some amazing social skills
This course should be mandatory for all teachers.
If you have any queries about play based learning, or feeling like it's just too daunting, this course gives you a clear direction, and makes it seem possible and oh so necessary.
If you can get any senior management to do the course, they present it in such a professional manner it may be what they need to be convinced!
An incredibly motivating day. Lots to take back and keep building on where we are at and look at where to from here. Thank you so much. I love the way you inspire us.